26 July 2010

Recycled Treats

One of my highlights is to go down to 25 spaces in Leeds for the monthly ‘Leeds Community Clothes Exchange’. One of my friends works there and I will hopefully soon be volunteering there. It’s usually the last Saturday of each month. However, thanks to a grant, the space is currently being refurbished.

It’s a great concept where people bring their clothes and accessories down to this little place and then exchanges them with other people’s items. This does not only enhance the community spirit but also fulfills the aim to ‘reduce consumption and raise awareness of unethical consumer habits’ as written on its Facebook fan page.

Since moving out of my last house and going through all my hundreds of garments, which I never really use, I managed to get a whole bin bag full of clothing. So I will be dragging that down to the August clothes exchange.

First time I ever went, about a year ago I think, I managed to get this amazing knitted blue/turquoise poncho that I wear all year around. It’s convenient when sitting around a late evening fire as well as when going shopping.



Last month I brought four garments (one of my favorite dresses which was too small, two tops and a tang-top) and obviously got to choose four new ones. I got this lovely 60s inspired dress with a lovely pattern in white, black and yellow. What I like the most about this dress is that I can wear one of my short lace skirts underneath it, which makes it look like a tutu. Also, I do love the neck line which makes me look a bit slimmer on top.