25 July 2010

Nana's Wardrobe

The best place to find a stylish vintage garment that no one else has, is your mum’s wardrobe from the 50-80s, or in my case; my grandmother’s wardrobe. My 80 year old nana from a small little village in Sweden had the greatest fashion sense of all time I would say. I have many times rummaged her wardrobes for shoes, bags, dresses and so on. Although, my nana was really skinny (and still is) and had a great figure, while I am stuck with my plus-size curves, therefore, I couldn’t fit in all of it.



One of my favourite findings is a beautiful long-sleeved black dress with green flowers on it. This dress, with its high collar and green buttons all the way up to the neck, is made from a very elastic and thick fabric. Unfortunately, the tag is long gone so I won’t be able to describe the fabric better than that.


I have used this dress hundreds of times since I found it, around 16 years old of age, therefore, it’s been washed many times, but it still looks the same.


A few years ago I told my nana that this is my favourite garment and that I would cry if I lost it. Nana then laughed and told me she bought it between the 60s and 70s for a funeral! Now, I was a bit shocked since this is a very short dress and if you undo the buttons, frankly, I think it’s a bit too revealing for funeral. Well all I could say was “good for you nana” and thanking her for not throwing it away and letting me find it 40 odd years later!